POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New license for include file : New license for include file Server Time
5 Aug 2024 08:19:58 EDT (-0400)
  New license for include file
From: Rune
Date: 23 Oct 2002 13:55:13
Message: <3db6e281$1@news.povray.org>
I've decided to change the terms of use under which I distribute my
include files. I want to thank those who participated in the discussion
about it in the thread "My particle system is released", that you
(almost) all kept the discussion serious, didn't make it personal, and
respected my opinions despite the fact that you disagreed with me. I
like when discussions can be like that.

There are some things I don't know so much about, so I'd appreciate your
help here.

I've considered using one of the known public licenses. I don't really
know anything about those. I've been recommended the GPL, and I've found
and read version 2 of that one. Is that the newest version? I would also
be interested in knowing if there are other alternative licenses that
might be of interest to me.

When the include files will be free for non-commercial and commercial
use, I will instead appeal to users to make voluntary donations. I would
like your opinions of what is the best way to make that possible
(easiest and most cost-effective). I've been recommended PayPal and an
Amazon wish list, and I would like to hear if you have any positive or
negative experiences with those, and about possible alternative ways you
could recommend.

P.S. This is posted in povray.general (rather than povray.off-topic),
since this thread might be of interest to other people making include
files, people wishing to modify include files, and to those who use them
in the end.

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com (updated Oct 19)